Maybe you’re tackling a bathroom renovation. Or maybe your old toilet simply needs to go. Either way, replacing a toilet is not nearly as difficult as it sounds. But of course, if you make a mistake, it could lead to some trouble down the road.
Here are some basic tips/steps to follow if you find yourself replacing a toilet:
- Gather all the tools you need for the job, such as a wrench and putty knife
- Remove the old tank
- Rock the bowl from side to side, as this will loosen the wax seal (and make removal easier)
- Clean the area where the old wax seal was located
- Place the new wax seal around the opening in the floor
- Place the new toilet onto the wax ring
- Secure the bowl and install the new tank
- Connect the water supply line
As you can see, it doesn’t take much knowledge to replace a toilet. However, if you don’t know exactly what you’re doing, you may want to hire a professional. There are some things that could go wrong – such as placing the toilet in the wrong spot – that could lead to a leak (among other issues) in the future.